There can be countless health implications associated with having Chronic Lyme Disease. Some people struggle with joint issues, chronic fatigue, weakness, neurological issues, etc. One of the more annoying complications for me was chronic muscle pain. Relentless muscle pain, cramps, and weakness.
The constant muscle pain was so debilitating it was interfering with my ability to perform any type of exercise, even a simple walk. Before I became very ill with Chronic Lyme Disease, I was working out five days a week sometimes twice a day. With Lyme Disease, I could barely walk up the stairs without feeling my quads burning and losing my breath.
I also noticed that when I did try to exercise or go for a walk, my body was not sweating. Instead of naturally sweating, I would just feel like I was about to pass out. I knew that exercise was an important part of recovering from Lyme disease, so I knew I had to do something to fix this.
MSM for Detox
While completing my first few ozone therapy treatments (my Lyme Disease treatment), I was still having issues with my muscles. I talked to my LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) about this constant muscle pain I was experiencing. H suggested I try the MSM/Vitamin C Protocol.
At first, I had no idea what he was talking about. I had heard about MSM from a couple of friends, but I did not realize how important this essential mineral was. My LLMD said following this protocol would assist me in being able to workout again without my muscles locking up.
What is MSM?
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally-occurring organic sulfur compound found in natural, unprocessed foods. Sulfur, an essential mineral, is used for dozens of biological functions in the body such as detoxification and inflammatory response regulation. MSM protects the body from oxidative damage and helps the body produce its own internal antioxidants.
We all need sufficient amounts of MSM and other essential minerals in the body in order to detoxify properly. Since Lymies are typically depleted in minerals, it’s pretty likely that they are lacking in MSM. This is why it’s so crucial, whether one has Lyme Disease or not, that we eat a whole foods diet and supplement our bodies with minerals like sulfur, magnesium, and silica.
Key Nutrient - Vitamin C
MSM makes the cells in our body more permeable, essentially taking the trash out of the cell. MSM will detoxify the cell in order to make room for key nutrients. The key nutrient we are using for this protocol is Vitamin C, an important vitamin for fighting off illnesses.
I take Ecological Formulas Vitamin C. It is a non- corn source dietary supplement. Most Vitamins C supplements are made out of corn, so if you are allergic you need to make sure you use a non-corn source. I am extremely allergic to corn, so this brand works best for me.
The Benefits of following the MSM/Vitamin C Protocol
According to Cancer Tutor, the MSM/Vitamin C Treatment goal is:
1. To block the lactic acid cycle (i.e. the cachexia cycle), by pulling lactic acid out of the bloodstream (lactic acid, the cachexia cycle, kills about 40% of all cancer patients).
2. Get key nutrients (e.g. Vitamin C) past the lactic acid blockade to help the cells.
3. Help clean microbes out of the bloodstream (which helps get other microbe-killing substances to the cancer cells by “clearing a path” in the bloodstream) and it helps build the immune system.
4) Help get microbe-killing substances (in this case Vitamin C and oxygen) inside the cells, where they can revert the weak cells or cancer cells into normal cells.
What is the MSM Vitamin C Protocol?
NOTE: Do not take organic sulfur if you are taking a blood thinner or taking high does of aspirin.
Make sure you purchase a premium MSM supplement. I use Happy Body 99.9% Pure Organic Sulfur Crystals because it's the purest MSM on the market. Another important note is to ONLY use filtered, reverse osmosis, alkaline water. NEVER use tap water!
- Do this protocol once in the morning and once in the evening. The supplement directions suggest starting off with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp to see how your body reacts to it. I started with one tsp because I tend to be a little bit of a risk taker! Scoop the crystals and putting them in a glass cup. Do NOT use plastic.
- Fill the glass with alkaline or reverse osmosis water and stir vigorously. If you wait long enough the crystals will dissolve. I buy my reverse osmosis alkaline water from the filling station at Whole foods. You can purchase it in 3-5 gallon jugs that you can refill. After stirring the mixture drink it quickly. Heads up, it doesn’t taste very good so you may want a chaser.
- Wait 30 minutes after you take the MSM. Then take the Vitamin C.
- Repeat twice daily.
For more information on this protocol visit: https://www.cancertutor.com/faq_msm/.
Now that I have been consistently doing the MSM/Vitamin C protocol for a few months, I can already feel that it is helping with my muscles. I no longer feel intense pain in my muscles during or after a workout.
I also noticed that I finally started to sweat. I've never been so excited to sweat! Prior to starting this protocol, I believe my lack of sweat was a sign of my inability to properly detox. Now that the MSM is opening up the cells, my body is able to remove unwanted toxins in my body and make room for essential nutrients.
I hope you enjoyed this article! Please leave me a comment and let me know how this protocol is helping you.